6/18/2006

Madame Matisse

My best friend Tonkhero has been raving about Madame Matisse since I've met him two years ago... and finally, I paid homage to the Madame today.

Located on 3536 W Sunset Blvd in Silverlake, across from the St. Francis of Assisi mural, Madame Matisse is a small, simple and quaint restaurant in the center of hipster-ville. So even though the patrons are a little yucky, the service is quite the opposite: down-to-earth and sweet. The menu reflects the service as well... a concise list of sweet and savory brunch entrees. You think with a name like Madame Matisse, you would have a menu filled with overpriced items and gratuitous descriptions in faux French. Instead, you have the Matisse Corned Beef Hash and Eggs:
I love love love corned beef hash and, thankfully, this dish of the Madame's was no disappointment. Because the hash was mixed with onions and green onions, it tasted healthier and more interesting. The texture of the hash was sticky too, and didn't crumble like some other hashes I've had. I believe the sticky texture helped with the seamless absorption of the runny eggs. By the way, I apologize if the picture above looks gross... I mashed my eggs before I remembered to take the photo. When the waitress brought my dish out, I got too excited and ahead of myself... sorry.
Kathy Jue ordered the Madame's special french toast, sausage and eggs. Since I'm not a french toast kind of gal (unless the toast is soaked in egg batter overnight), I couldn't really tell you if it was good, but Kathy said it was excellent. I tried a bit of it, and I have to admit, it was indeed tasty. The Madame added this orange flavor to the toast, which makes it much more interesting than the standard french toast. The sausage was real good, albeit a bit too spicy, but the eggs were on the bland side. Not bad still. Overall, it was a very nice experience.

* We also had a star sighting at Madame Matisse -- Michael from Lost. We do not know his real name. He had brunch with his white wife and biracial pre-teen daughter. I thought about snapping his picture for Joe Mak (a die-hard Lost fan), but the corned beef hash arrived and, well, you know the story...

4 Comments:

Blogger DYY said...

I'm so glad you understand.

6/19/2006 10:54 PM  
Blogger illewminator said...

i, too, love madame matisse, especially the friendly, down-to-earth service which is much more pleasant to face on a sunday morning than the careless, occasionally surly, band-dude attitude you get at millie's, which is just a few doors down. also, love the mm's coffee.

6/19/2006 11:00 PM  
Blogger jblogs said...

dayam dyy...you prolific pace of postings is putting me to shame!

6/20/2006 1:15 AM  
Blogger DYY said...

I just don't want to disappoint me new team members... it's asian guilt, that's all.

6/20/2006 10:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home