6/13/2006

Singapore's Banana Leaf

Although the Farmer's Market is one of my favorite places in LA, I was getting kinda bored with the market's favorites: the crepes from the french place owned by Filipinos; the po-boys from the New Orleans joint; the nachos and chilaquiles from the Mexican place; and the Brazilian food that always cost me an arm and a leg because I can never accurately eyeball how much the items on my plate weigh...

Singapore's Banana Leaf has revived 3rd and Fairfax in a big, delicious way. I've been there for a total of three times now, and I still crave more. This food blogger also agrees!

Pictured above is the Mee Goreng Indo Style -- savory Indian pan-fried noodles served with two satay sticks and a fried egg on top... for $8.50! This is my ultimate favorite.

For an appetizer, I recommend the Roti Paratha, a grilled Indian bread served with vegetarian curry dipping sauce. It tastes so fresh and so light, you can't tell how fatty it probably is. It's wonderful, and fun to share.

The only other items I've tasted were the Laksa Soup (spicy coconut curry soup with rice noodles, tofu, bean sprouts and homemade fishcake) and Tuna Sambal (solid white albacore tuna sauteed with garlic, onions, tomato and ginger, and served with rice and vegetables). Both entrees are huge. You can save the leftovers for another meal. Double the pleasure, double the fun!

I would attempt to try more entrees, but I'm addicted to the Mee Goreng pictured above. I mean, look at it! With the egg on top and two (not one, but two!) satay sticks make this the perfect dish!

2 Comments:

Blogger jblogs said...

ohmigosh.

i think i need to officially add this dish to the "virtues of an over-easy egg" hall of fame

6/13/2006 8:33 PM  
Blogger DYY said...

Yes, i saw that post some time ago... excellent! It is true... an over-easy egg gives any meal a certain panache, ghetto style!

6/15/2006 9:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home