2/02/2005

Frank's Famous in Montrose

If you're ever in Montrose or nearby, you should go to Frank's Famous. It's a gourmet sandwich shop with about 50 different sandwiches. They carry Boar's Head meats, which I believe is more hype than anything, but it's still quite tasty. I posted a menu, but the word is that they sold the place to someone else a year or so ago and they've pared the menu down a bit. They still have most of the cold sandwiches, but I don't think they carry the gourmet sandwiches, or the European cheese plates or the panini. Never got those before so I don't really recall the last time I went there.

This what I've had so far.
#1 Roast Turkey on french roll (a pretty straightforward turkey sandwich with avocado, cheese and garlic mayo. I'm not a huge fan of turkey sandwiches, but it was pretty good)
#9 Buffalo Chicken sandwich on sliced sourdough (It would be better if it was a fried chicken breast, its grilled)
#14a Veggie cheese on sourdough roll (it's not on the online menu, but it was 3 cheeses, avocado, red onions with a garlic mayo. I suggest adding bacon to it)
#23 Eye of Round Roast Beef on Dutch Crunch (Roast beef with brie. ooof. Eat it when you're in a brie mood. It was a phase I was on for a bit)

I've also had the chili and I've been with someone that goes just for the french onion soup. The french onion soup has guyere broiled right on top and has a crouton floating inside the soup. The chili is okay. It has a lot of tomato taste and lots of veggies. I prefer a more meaty taste and less veggie chunks. It's like the Wendy's chili consistency, but better taste.

Lastly, desserts. They have a a pretty good selection of freshly baked cookies. It tastes like what you would bake at home, if you ever did bake at home. I like butterscotch toffee and the peanut butter chocolate chip. This is the only place that has Susie's cookies. Oatmeal cookies plain. No chocolate chips, no raisin, just oatmeal. They also have Dr. Bob's ice cream. Its locally made (Upland) and super premium. For the true chocolate lover, they have the Scharffen Berger chocolate "works". It's chocolate ice cream with dark chocolate chunks mixed inside. Scharffen Berger is a california chocolate maker if you care to know.

http://www.bristolwebdesign.com/local_restaurants/franksfamous_menu.pdf

2 Comments:

Blogger illewminator said...

ordering the vegetarian sandwich but with bacon is a classic grubclub move... nice! btw: dr. bob's ice cream (yum!) can also be found at gelson's sold by the pint.

ditto on frank's famous. sandwiches are delish (but it's no subway... expect to pay in the $7-10 price range). still, i believe it's worth the occasional splurge for homestyle sandwiches on freshly baked bread with that extra gourmet touch.

2/04/2005 4:17 PM  
Blogger grant said...

i'm w/ vdv on this one. roast beef /w brie. NICE.
Which reminds me...410 boyd in jtown has the BEST blt, EVER.
I think I shall write a post on that one someday.

2/06/2005 1:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home