11/11/2005

Flor Morena (Not So) Fine Foods


10-03-05_1918
Originally uploaded by illewminator.
I wanted to like this place... I really did. It's on Rowena Ave. in Silverlake, just before it becomes Glendale Blvd., and I'd pass it almost weekly, watching its s-l-o-w development and wonder what it would be when it finally opened.

And so it finally opened, with a spare, slightly funky decor and colorful painted windows featuring the "Flor Morena Fine Foods" logo. It looked a little like a mini grocery store from the outside, but I think it's just the look of the deli case and the strange bar/case near the front door (I have no idea what that area is for).

The menu is a mixture of mexican and soul food, I think reflecting the ethnic background of the owner. I got the beef tamale with rice and beans, as you can see in the picture. Other friends ordered the BBQ beef brisket sandwich and the meatloaf. I recall also seeing ribs on the menu, and a variety of sides, including creamed spinach, baked beans, cole slaw, potato salad and mac & cheese.

As I said, I was really hoping to like it, as I'm always looking for another local grub spot, but it was really not so great. My tamale was quite unimpressive, rather dry and seemed like it was purchased elsewhere (perhaps frozen) and then reheated and served here. The rice had little bits of hardened grains in it, as if it had been sitting in the pot a few hours too long. And the beans seemed straight out of a can. In short, it was pretty much like what you'd get in a school lunch, but at about 3x the price (I think the tamale place costs about $6 or $7). And it was not even very filling.

My friend reported her beef brisket sandwich to be also unremarkable, except for the fact that it was served to her on burnt toast. The meatloaf was probably the best choice, in that there was really nothing wrong with it. Not that that should qualify it as *good*, mind you, but compared to our entrees, that was a plus.

I had heard the desserts were the best part of eating here, so I was looking forward to sampling the red velvet cake. However, I was informed that they did not have any cake the day I went. They did have banana empanadas, so we got one, as you can see in the top left corner of the photo. It was good, but a little small, and at that point, I had about given up on any hope for this place, anyway.

[It didn't help that their front door seemed to be missing that little arm thing that makes it shut slowly and quietly. We were seated pretty close to the door, so everytime someone came in or went out (which seemed to be every 30 seconds), there'd be a big BANG! and the whole front glass wall would shake as the heavy door slammed shut.]

I understand that this place just opened and they may still be working out some kinks. I really do. But I would still have hoped to see some glimmer of potential in the quality of the food... which I just didn't see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home